An Introduction to Airway Disease
The incidence of respiratory allergies is increasing, particularly in industrialized areas. Allergic inflammation can occur in both the upper and lower airways, and can differ substantially in intensity. Traditional drug therapy such as antihistamines, corticosteroids, anticholinergic agents and leukotriene inhibitors is important in reducing and preventing symptoms and is essential in acute use. More recent therapies including anti-immunoglobin E (IgE) therapy, anti-interleukin (IL) monoclonal antibodies, and phosphodiesterase 4/phospholipaseA2 inhibitors, have improved outcomes. However, in order to develop more effective therapies, further research is needed into the molecular mechanisms underlying respiratory allergy onset, particularly in terms of intracellular reactions and the cytosolic Ca2+ balance.
Browse our selection of video highlights and short articles from the conference hub, providing insights into the latest updates from major conferences and a selection of peer-reviewed articles from the journal portfolio.
Our supporting partners do not constitute an endorsement of the content on this page.
Airway Disease Content
Eosinophilic inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system: New therapeutic options
Watch a panel of experts discuss how to identify and manage patients with inflammatory respiratory diseases, with a focus on severe eosinophilic asthma.
- Recognize the role of eosinophils and type 2 inflammation in respiratory disease
- Understand the diagnostic methods used to differentiate inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system
- Recall disease states that may benefit from therapies that target the complex interaction between eosinophils and their environment
Paving the way for optimal disease control in moderate-to-severe type 2 asthma
Watch a panel of experts discuss the diagnosis of type 2 asthma, the rationale for biological therapy and emerging treatments.
- Recognize the importance of biomarkers to identify patients with type 2 asthma accurately and promptly
- Outline the pathologic pathways underlying type 2 asthma and the differing mechanisms of action of available biologic therapies
- Recall the latest data for biologic therapies in moderate-to-severe type 2 asthma
The role of eosinophils in physiology and disease: Is complete depletion of eosinophils the goal?
Watch Dr Enrico Heffler describe how eosinophilic inflammation can be targeted for the treatment of inflammatory respiratory diseases.
- Understand the dynamics of eosinophils across the human body in wellness and disease
- Discuss clinical scenarios in which eosinophilic therapy may be beneficial
- Recognize how new eosinophilic therapies offer promise for the future treatment of eosinophil-mediated diseases
Philippe Gevaert, EAACI Digital Congress 2020: Targeting Endotypes in Severe Airway Disease
Following his presentation at the EAACI annual meeting, we were delighted to talk with Prof. Dr. Philippe Gevaert (University of Ghent, Belgium) about targeted endotype therapeutics in severe airway disease. Questions 1. What are the major unmet needs in the treatment of severe airway disease? (0:04) 2. Could you give is a brief overview of […]
Highlights from the American Thoracic Society 2019 – Day One
We spoke with respiratory experts at the American Thoracic Society 2019 in Dallas, TX, USA, about their highlights from the congress, recent updates from the latest advances, therapies and clinical trials. Full video interviews coming soon. Filmed at the American Thoracic Society 2019 in Dallas, TX, USA. touchRESPIRATORY.com is an independent information resource supporting physicians, […]
Highlights from the American Thoracic Society 2019 – Day Two
We spoke with respiratory experts at the American Thoracic Society 2019 in Dallas, TX, USA, about their highlights from the congress, recent updates from the latest advances, therapies and clinical trials. Full video interviews coming soon. Filmed at the American Thoracic Society 2019 in Dallas, TX, USA. touchRESPIRATORY.com is an independent information resource supporting physicians, clinicians and leading industry professionals in continuously developing […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchRESPIRATORYSign me up!