Daniel Ouellette talks to us about the recent update to the CHEST/ATS guideline concerning liberation from mechanical ventilation.
1. Why was an update needed in the CHEST/ATS guidelines concerning liberation from mechanical ventilation in critically ill patients? (0:04)
2. In acutely hospitalized patients ventilated for more than 24 hours, should the spontaneous breathing trial (SBT) be conducted with or without inspiratory pressure augmentation? (0:44)
3. In acutely hospitalized patients ventilated for more than 24 h, should protocols attempt to minimize sedation? (1:30)
4. Which patients are at high risk of extubation failure? (2:23)
5. What do the guidelines recommend for high-risk patients receiving mechanical ventilation for more than 24 h who have passed an SBT? (3:03)
Speaker disclosures: Daniel Ouellette is lead author of the related CHEST/ATS guideline.
Filmed at the CHEST Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, October 2017.