Mark L Metersky (University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT, US) discusses current recommendations and guidelines with respect to the use of empiric antibiotic therapy in patients with ventilator-associated pneumonia.
1. What are the major challenges of empiric antibiotic therapy in patients with ventilator-associated pneumonia? (0:10)
2. How are patients defined in terms of risk when selecting antibiotic treatment? (1:49)
3. What are the recommendations of the latest guidelines in the treatment of patients with risk factors for multidrug resistance and high mortality risk? (2:59)
4. What is the current recommended antibiotic treatment duration for high- and low-risk patients? (3:25)
5. What are the limitations of the current guidelines? (6:03)
Speaker disclosure: Mark L Metersky has nothing to disclose in relation to this video interview.
Filmed at the CHEST Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, US, October 2018.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Ventilation
Alba Ramírez Sarmiento and Mauricio Orozco-Levi, ERS 2019 – Continuous Supraglottic Aspiration
It was a pleasure to meet with Alba Ramírez Sarmiento and Mauricio Orozco-Levi at ERS 2019 in Madrid, who discussed the latest trial results for the new invention device (SUPRAtube) for mechanical ventilation. Questions 1. What are the main risks for patients receiving mechanical ventilation? (0:05) 2. How does the new invention device (SUPRAtube) in […]
Refika Ersu, ERS 2019 – Non-invasive Ventilation in Children (Part 1)
Refika Ersu, from Istanbul, joins us at ERS 2019 in Madrid to discuss noninvasive ventilation in children: main indications and contraindications for it, and the challenges in this area. Questions 1. What are the main indications for noninvasive ventilation (NIV) in children? (0:04) 2. In which children is NIV contraindicated and which are most likely […]
Refika Ersu, ERS 2019 – Non-invasive Ventilation in Children (Part 2)
Refika Ersu, from Istanbul, joins us at ERS 2019 in Madrid to discuss noninvasive ventilation in children: the recent important technological developments in this area, and how children receiving NIV should be monitored. Questions 1. What have been the most important recent technological developments in NIV that will help the treatment of children? (0:05) 2. […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchRESPIRATORYSign me up!